Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Abortion

Like the author of this article I believe abortion should be considered a public health problem.

The hypothesis is based on this research paper in the journal international family planning perspectives which comes to this conclusion:

Abortion rates are no lower overall in areas where abortion is generally restricted by law (and where many abortions are performed under unsafe conditions) than in areas where abortion is legally permitted.

The evidence is there to make the correct public health decision - but instead of promoting sex education and other social measures, the United States wastes their time with whole roe vs. wade (life/choice) argument. I feel both sides of the aisle are looking at this problem in the wrong way - we can have life and choice, but we're too blind to see it.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of that research paper and there are probably some flaws in it. However the issue is - why aren't we talking about roe v. wade instead of just saving lives?

Other people are a lot more passionate about this issue than I am, so maybe someone can enlighten me.

No comments: